Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Budget

In the past we've used the MS Money program to keep up with our budget. I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately it was a free trial and ended... I tried to keep up w/out it, but I knew I was failing miserably.

Skip forward to this week... We're finally able to afford to buy it. I had all sorts of problems trying to download it lol, but as of a few hours ago it's up and running. Yes I'm thrilled (seriously).

But I'm also shaking my head in disbelief... I knew we've eaten out more than we should lately. We had a celebration dinner, then took out my MIL for her bday... had a couple oops dinners where we were being lazy... Not all together of course, but still more often than we should. Plus my husband's been getting food at school and work (although he's already stopped at work.. He's taking lunches now). But even knowing all that... Seeing the pie chart show that we've spent more eating out than we have on groceries this month (or this last month) really got me. We need to stop that... Now.

2 comments:

  1. We struggle with keeping to a budget from time to time as well. Specifically, we have problems because someone *cough*Chris*cough* doesn't check the budget before spending money.

    I've been good about making my menus ... just not about going to buy the groceries to actually cook those meals. I need to get better at that part because we've opted for eating out way too often as well recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, mine used to spend a lot out of pocket so it'd just disappear... thankfully that's changed. He doesn't really check the budget either, but he tries not to buy too much.

    I had that prob the other day... I made my menu thinking we had stuff we didn't. So last weeks menu was all out of whack... and added to our eating out problem. We try to do one groc trip a week (for the menu, big trips are scheduled differently) sometimes it works, sometimes not lol. this was the first time I haven't had stuff though... usually we get it and then something happens and I can't make it, which is just as bad because you end up w/ wasted food when it goes bad.

    ReplyDelete